Thursday, June 9, 2011

Musings of How I'm Feeling..

Well, this is officially the first time that I've written on this new blog of mine.  My sister, Holly, has graciously taken over and has surprised me with so many wonderful and touching notes from so many people that I love.  I'm so thankful for her and her prodding to get this started...both my sisters are so creative and very verbal...I'm a little intimidated by writing down words myself.  But here goes...

I wanted to personally give you an update on how things are going (or NOT going) in the last few days. :)  As you can tell, I haven't had our little man yet, but I'm MORE than ready.  The nursery's ready, my house is clean and ready to go...and my last day of school (maybe forever?) is tomorrow.  I'm thinking that maybe my body will start to relax once school is over and everything there is taken care of.  Maybe THAT'S when he'll decide to come.... 




It's hard to believe that my last day of school is tomorrow.  It is so bittersweet and I'm sure there will be tears shed tomorrow by yours truly.  I have loved teaching and have loved the opportunity to invest in over 200 students' (can it be THAT MANY??) lives in the last 8 years.  There have definitely been rough days and difficult students, but there has been so many fun times.  Nothing can beat the joy of seeing my kiddos learn something new or see the pride in their faces when they see how much they've grown over a year's time.  I've gotten lots of hugs, lots of pats on my belly, and lots of words of wisdom in recent days.  So many of my co-workers have wanted me to stay home and enjoy these last few days of "solitude and freedom..."  But I think I've truly wanted to be in class and owe it to my kids to be there these last few days of school.  Most of my kids have come in every morning this week, looked around the room for me, and said "YES!  She's still here!"  It makes my decision a little easier. :)  But the reality of not teaching next year has started to sink in and I'm trying to soak in every last chance I have with them.   I'm not going to be "Mrs. Von Tobel" anymore...and although I WON'T miss hearing my name called 10,000 times during the day, I'll miss having my own classroom and being the "mother hen" of 25ish kids each year.  I'm so thankful that the Lord has given me this gift, this opportunity, and I pray that I have used it to His glory each year that He blessed me with another set of 25 little lives.

All this being said...I'm ready for this new chapter in life and excited about what it is going to bring.  I'm MORE than excited to see my little guy's face and to meet him for the first time.  To hold him in my arms and welcome him into the world.  Peter and I have SO much to learn, but I think we're up for the challenge.  :)  I think God has so much to teach us through this little guy and I'm looking forward to seeing how He's going to change me. 

I'm feeling fine...my legs have been tired after each day of teaching and he's running out of room (and kicking my ribs), but other than that, I'm feeling well.  Peter's parents are here and my parents are on-call to start driving after they get the call from us.  We're just WAITING...I know good things come to those who wait and God knows EXACTLY when he'll come...It's getting hard to be patient.  :) 

40 weeks...
I'll keep you all updated and can't wait to introduce him to all of you in the next couple of days...Thanks for your words, love, encouragement, wisdom, sweet gifts, and prayers over the last 9 months.  This baby has been loved and bathed in prayer more than he'll ever realize.  I have some amazing people in my life...and am so lucky.

 Love you all...
Heather :)

7 comments:

  1. oh Heather! everything looks great! the nursery is beautiful and you look amazing (as always). Can't wait to meet the little guy :) we'll be thinking about yall this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, you brought a few tears to my eyes more than once in that post! I know all you're feeling when it comes to "leaving teaching" (I kinda feel like that again with coaching) in combination with the excitement that comes from wanting to meet this little guy!! You have been an AMAZING teacher and you will be an AMAZING mother!! So thankful God allowed me to be a part of your life...even from a distance! Tons of love and prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, Heath, I loved loved loved this. You posted!!! And not even a call to me for a single question! You are amazing, babe, and I'm loving this journey you are on.

    Lots and lots of love, Ho

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!!! You wrote something!! Come on, little baby VT - we cannot wait to hear about you and meet you (soonish). Much love, Heath.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post, Heather, thanks for sharing your thoughts. We are so excited for you and Pete and are waiting anxiously to meet little Mr. VT.
    Lots of love, Shaun, Laura and Ella

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Heather.... your mom's got tears running down her face :) The picture hanging near your little one's crib started it all! Lots of memories there. Thanks for sharing .....we love you & Peter so much! I'll be praying for you today as I know this will be a difficult one. Every last day of your 8 teaching years has been hard but now this one is official. hum.... So proud of you! You've been a wonderful teacher & your kiddos will LONG remember Miss May & Mrs. Von Tobel. Had to smile when I saw your belly again... looks sooo much like mine did! Goodness! We're anxiously awaiting your call that baby VT is ready to arrive....See you soon, mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. To my dear friend Heather,

    What a journey it's been over the last 2 years teaching together and sharing that office at Bethesda! You're so right when you talk about the many ups and downs, but all in a days work. Always something new. But that is something that you will always have with little PJ. Something new and exciting with each day.

    Even with all the changes that are happening over the next few weeks, I'm so glad to have a friend like you. You're truly like a big sister to me and you always will be. You're going to be a fantastic mom! Hopefully PJ doesn't keep us waiting for too much longer.

    Love you Mrs. VonTobel!!!!
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete