Friday, June 24, 2011

A Note From Aunt Karla


(This was written before Baby Henry was born, but various circumstances prevented it from being posted until now...)


Heather's birth was such a much anticipated event.  She wasn't just Kevin and Donna's first child; she was the first grandchild, the first niece or nephew, and the whole family was eagerly anticipating her arrival.  So much so that when we got the word she was on her way, we all jumped in the van and descended en masse on that small hospital in Angola, Indiana.  What a beauty she was with her dark hair, lying in her little cardboard bassinet.  She captured our hearts that afternoon.

Even as a baby she had a love for life.  She didn't want to miss a minute of what was going on around her.  She was never one to lie quietly in your arms.  She had to be sitting up, looking around.  She's never changed.  She still has that same love for life; meeting challenges as they come up, trusting in God to lead the way.  She has a deep commitment to family and an enduring loyalty to her friends.  As her aunt, it's been a blessing to watch her mature into the beautiful young woman she is today.  I eagerly anticipate this next phase in her life.  

I've watched her mothering instinct kick into gear with her sisters and cousins.  I always loved getting some time to spend with the girls when I was back in Indiana.  We'd usually go to a movie and maybe out to eat.  But there was this time when I had the chance to not only take Heather and Holly to a movie, but some of their cousins as well.  Heather fixed them all little baggies of popcorn and I think she even managed a few other special treats for them.  She was like a hen with her chicks!

Heather will excel as a mother.  It's a role she's been preparing for her whole life.  Her children will truly "arise and call her blessed" (Proverbs 31:28).  I have been blessed with eleven nieces and nephews and they all bring joy to my heart, but Heather was the first and she set the bar high.

Heather, I am so excited for you and thrilled to be a "great aunt."  I know you are ready for this new adventure and for those unexpected things that will come up, because they always do.  I know you will trust the Lord to lead you and Peter.  I truly admire the person you are and I am honored to be your aunt.  I just can't wait to see this little guy and to be able to cuddle him a bit.  You are all in my prayers daily.  I love you!

Aunt Karla




No comments:

Post a Comment